There are no guarantees when it comes to selling a house and how long the process might take. (Unless you use a service like Zoom Property Buyers, but we’re talking about the traditional way). On average homes are sold within a few months but that really depends on where the house is situated and numerous other factors.
In London, for example, properties sell within 60 days on average, while in Liverpool it generally takes more 100 days to sell a house. In the worst cases, it can take years before a suitable buyer is found.
Let’s take a look at some of factors that affect the time it takes to sell a house:
- Overpricing – Even the most experienced estate agents can make mistakes when it comes to valuing a property and if you’re asking too much for your house it will put-off potential buyers.
- Underpricing – It is also possible to underprice your property, which will have the effect of making people suspicious and therefore overlooking it as an option.
- Presentation – Failing to present your house at its best will definitely deter buyers and make it harder to find someone willing to pay your asking price.
- In Need of Repairs – If too many things are broken or in need of improvement this will deter buyers who are hoping for a smooth, DIY-free move.
- Lack of Exposure – You decided to list the property in very few places making it harder for people to find. If no one knows that your house is for sale it will be hard for them to buy it.
- Surroundings – If your home is situated in an area with poor public transport, a lack or amenities, traffic noise, or a bad reputation this will make it harder to sell.
Speeding Up the Sale of Your Home
In order to speed up the process of selling you home you can attempt to deal with 5 of the 6 different problems listed above: ensure your property is correctly priced, that it is looking its best, that repairs are done before viewings take place, and that you have listed the property in as many places as possible.
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about the area your home is situated in, though encouraging your neighbours to clean up their front gardens and picking up any litter on your street can make a big difference.
Using the Internet to Find A Buyer
These days, when people are looking for a new house they start on the internet. There are plenty of great websites that list properties and viewing them online first helps people to narrow down their search. Since so many people are searching online for a new house, it’s important that you also list your house online.
You can also choose to use an online estate agent. The advantages are significantly lower fees compared to a high-street estate agent and the process can be a lot quicker. Using an online estate agent will guarantee your property is listed on numerous websites making it easy to find for potential buyers who are searching online.
A Way to Sell Your House Fast
If you’ve tried everything but still can’t sell you house, you might want to consider our services. At Zoom we’ll buy any home and get the sale done fast. In some cases we can complete the purchase of your house within 7 days! Get in touch today to get the process started.